Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default O/T: Credit Card v Debit Card

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

From my POV, all your arguments with regard to debit cards are basically
nullified by those minimally intelligent/savvy enough to maintain only a
balance they are comfortable risking in an account tied to a debit/check
card.

The only amount I'm willing to risk is zilch, thus no debit cards for me.

We all make our choices ... I can carry $300 cash with me at all times at
the risk of loss, robbery, difficulty of accountability, and having to deal
with pockets full of change; or ...

I can fund/replenish with deposits or online transfers the same $300 in an
account to be accessed with a check card, as needed and at NO cost to me,
with less risk of loss overall, much less risk of robbery, full tracking as
to where the money went, easier accountability for tax purposes than the use
of cash, and with less change to add up on the dresser (which somehow always
finds it way into the pockets of other family members, costing me more money
in the long run).

I personally prefer the convenience of the latter ... obviously YMMV.

When a commercial business, especially a bank, wants to give me something,

get very uneasy.

Banking _always_ costs the consumer money ... to dip their beak in your
money is their reason for existence.

It's rare that a fiscally responsible consumer can actually gain the type of
convenience that suits him by wisely allocating funds, and shopping banks on
terms more favorable than the published federal requirements, and have gain
said convenience at no cost to him.

The banks are promoting debit cards for reasons that are in their best
interests, not mine.

For fun, re-read your plain old checking account agreement. It is written by
the bank, in their best interest, and they can unilaterally change the
contract at whim, you can only take your business elsewhere.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/16/07