Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Wiring a Dimmer Switch (3 way)

If the box is metal, it should have been connected by a screw or clip. If
the box is plastic, it should be attached to the grounding conductor of the
device you install. As Bob Barr suggested, you should verify that it's
connected at the other end.

"photoflavor" wrote in message
Greetings. I bought a dimmer switch to replace the standard light
switch in my kitchen. I identified that it needed to be a 3 way
switch since there are multiple locations to turn these lights on/
off. When I removed the current switch, I noticed that the bare
copper ground coming out of the wall isn't connected to anything -
it's just covered in a plaster-esque substance. Is this a hazard?
Should I be concerned? If this is a problem, would it simply trip the
breaker, or should I be worried about a fire?

Thanks!
Zac