Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G Brian G is offline

Default Intumescent seals

Huge wrote:
On 2007-11-16, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
Been asked by a BTL landlord to do some work to bring a small
terraced house up to standard.

BCO have specified that the existing door leading to the kitchen
should be fitted with intumescent seals and cold smoke seals.

She assures me that the existing door is a fire door, but I'm
getting alarm bells ringing.

Two reasons; I thought all fire doors should already be fitted with
intumescent seals as standard? And the door doesn't have a self
closer of any sort. I thought that should be standard as well?

The door to my integral garage is half-hour fireproof. It has neither
intumescent seals or a self closer.

Huge,

Not half-hour fireproof but half-hour fire check - the door and frame will
succumb to the high temperatures of a fire eventually.

As a matter of interest, if the doors are installed in public buildings,
then they have to have the intumescent strips, smoke seals and be
self-closing along all fire escape routes such as corridors and stair
access - as do flats. Private dwellings are different.

Pedantic I know but... :-)

Brian G