Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default water meters

Sam wrote:
Hi,

This morning we saw a man from the water company walking down the
street; at first we thought he was reading meters. Actually he lifted
the "manhole"[*] cover at the end of each drive and put a metal rod
down onto the pipe and listened to the other end of the rod. I am sure
I have heard something about water companies listening to pipes but I
can't remember where I heard this (tv or usenet?) and I can't remember
what the point of it was. We were too shy to ask him

Why would he be listening to pipes? Is he listening for leaks?

TIA

* I'm not sure manhole is the right word because to me a man hole has
to be man size but you know what I mean, the cover over the stop tap
at the bottom of the drive.

Probably should be 'person hole' these days.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk