dg

Default Laying floor tiles on old lino/vinyl tiles

Although the existing tiles are flexible, they are not flexible whilst stuck
to the floor - hence they will not move.

If any existing loose ones are removed an an appropriate adhesive use, then
the result will be OK.

The glaze on the new tiles will take many many years of constant wear to
deteriorate. Its not really an issue.

dg

"Steve" wrote in message

"Timbo" wrote in message
Hi Steve;

Tiles-on-tiles should be fine; the cement is self-levelling and

"sticking"
shouldn't be a problem.

Ceramic tiles need more "looking after", but are extremely hard

wearing -
mine have been down 20 years, and if I hadn't flooded them last year,

would
still be in near-perfect nick.

Thanks Tim.
I'm concerned that tile cement won't adhere properly to the old tiles,

which
are made of a flexible material, like vinyl. The builder assures me they
will be fine.

The ceramic tiles we are considering, are printed, then hard-glazed on top
of that. I wondered if the glaze wears off, with chairs being moved about,
and dirty boots etc. walking over them.