Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV signal Amplifiers . What do u look for when buying one ?

On Nov 16, 4:11 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:30:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Nov 16, 11:12 am, wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 06:49:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Nov 16, 9:06 am, wrote:
Yes, it's still RF. But my main point was that if he's trying to
improve an analog signal, it may not be worth the trouble as it's
going to be gone in a year. I'd be figuring out how to transition to
ATSC first, as that may solve his problem. The reception conditions
he has for digital may be different.

Amplifiers and antennas are not smart enough to distinguish between
analog and digital signals.

You miss the point. In a year the analog will be gone and with ATSC
his reception right now may be fine WITHOUT needing an AMP. Anyone
screwing around with improving NTSC reception should take that into
account.

You miss the point. With a distant weak broadcast that shows much
snow but is still viewable in NTSC his ability to receive that same
weak broadcast in ATSC will be less.

You're making assumptions. The OP never stated how much snow he had,
exactly how weak the signal is, or even if it's VHF, UHF or both that
he has a problem with.

He said:
"Looking for a clearer picture from distant tv signals. Thanks ."

I assume he must be seeing enough snow to bother posting.

snip

What's the problem with addressing the conversion to ATSC before
screwing around with a system that is going away in a year?

Maybe he doesn't want to wait. Maybe he wants to gather some
info about what to expect.

Wait for what? ATSC is up and running now. All I'm suggesting is
before spending time and money trying to fix NTSC reception, he should
at least be aware that it's going bye bye in a year.

So you are telling him his snowy "distant tv signal" will magically
clear up. I'm telling him that his former snowy picture will start to
cut up unless he changes something.- Hide quoted text -

I never told him his reception will magically clear up. However,
depending on the location, it is possible he could receive ATSC OK and
since he's going to have to do that in a year anyway, moving to
digital now is an option. I've seen people online report that their
reception improved and they have good reception with ATSC, where
before they had snow, ghosting, etc..

And IMO, it's unlikely buying an amplifier is going to do any good.
He's in a mobile home with probably a 10 ft cable from the antenna to
the TV, not in a big house with 5 TV's. If the signal from the
antenna was any good with decent SNR he should be able to receive it
on a single set.