Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Deep Recessed Lights for Kitchen?

On Nov 16, 8:00 am, JB wrote:
My kitchen remodeling saga continues. I was planning on using the
Halo 4" 110v cans (the H99 family) for all ceiling lights with
halogens or xenons for undercab lighting. My personal preference is
to NOT put in large 6" cans, but use something smaller with line
voltage. But the PAR20 bulbs are recessed quite a ways into the H99
unit.

My concern now is that with a recessed bulb, the light cone will
result in more of a spot than flood. And another website describes
the H99 as good for "accent and task lighting". Halo makes bulb
extenders but I've never used them before. Maybe I'm better off with
6" cans where the bulb face is flush with the trim resulting in a true
downwash general lighting effect.

Has anyone had experience using the H99s for general lighting? Other
small 110v alternatives?

--Jeff

I've seen them in kitchens. In my opinion, recessed lighting (and
kitchen islands) are a fad that will go the way of avacado-colored
appliances.