Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
robb robb is offline

Default troubleshooting method for micro-controller board ?

wrote in message
I'm reading this thread with some interest, but I'm more

puzzled as it
goes on, there should be something we are (and the OP is)

missing.

On 16 Nov, 19:11, "robb" wrote:
"clifto" wrote in message

and although the numbers may seem incorrect from a

electronic
formulaic analysis i can only report what i see on the

equipment
i use and with the setup i use.

The DMM amp reading numbers were fluctuating wildly on my

last
test and 1.57 ???was something i thought flashed by as

highest #
maybe it was .57 but i do know that whatever the number the

100
ohm resistor had a stream of smoke going up and the 7805

appeared
to have a puff of smoke released before i could dis-connect

now
i am hopping somebody can help me decipher what went wrong

with
my testing

hmm 78xx don't smoke easily, maybe if you apply a too high

input
voltage ( 30V I believe) or if it goes into self-oscillation

if an
output capacitor is omitted. A 100 ohm resistor, assuming we

are
talking about a 1/4 W one or bigger, shouldn't smoke easily

with only
5V even on a short to ground, it should become quite hot but

not smoke
instantly, if it smoked I believe the input voltage was higher.

thanks for help Francesco,

i do not under-estimate my ability to mis-understand.
so i consider myself missing something as distinct possibility.

but what ?

source is a 18-24v ac 1000mA wall wart that feeds the bridge and
then 7805.

Power supply problems shouldn't be that difficult to

troubleshoot,
even if once I had almost the same problem with a simple three

tubes
amplifier, but that was another story :-)

someoner suggested that i add caps to prevent oscillation i will
try and i hope to give more accurate report and numbers after i
make the change.

thanks for help francesco and any other ideas you may have,
robb