Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
turnerbob turnerbob is offline

Default segment ring question

On Nov 16, 4:30 am, (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:
Can I run glued up ring in my plainer if I use a sled ?
Or would cross grain throw it at me like the 1in. strip of pine with a
knot I ran on edge that went into cement block wall ?

Jr

Hi Jerry, The best way to flatten rings is with a performax. I've seen
plans on the net for building one.
Next best would be a disc sander. That works well but you can't get an
even thickness unless your very careful.
Before I had a performax I used to flatten rings with a 12" disc stuck
to a piece of countertop. This method is slow but it works fine.
I've also glued the ring to a plywood disk mounted on a faceplate and
trued them on the lathe. Just start with a thicker ring.
I tried the planer method but that didn't work well at all. Lots of
tearout.
Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com