Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil Neil is offline

Default Intumescent seals

"Brian G" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Been asked by a BTL landlord to do some work to bring a small
terraced house up to standard.

BCO have specified that the existing door leading to the kitchen
should be fitted with intumescent seals and cold smoke seals.

She assures me that the existing door is a fire door, but I'm getting
alarm bells ringing.

Two reasons; I thought all fire doors should already be fitted with
intumescent seals as standard? And the door doesn't have a self
closer of any sort. I thought that should be standard as well?

Not all "fire" doors are fitted with intumescent seals.

How do I know its really a fire door?

--------------------------Snipped lots of good

Hinges will also need to be fire rated as well. Depending on how old the
door is and whether its been planed down to fit it may have a printed BS
number on top edge. Bloody horrible job especially if single handed trying
to maneuvre these pigs so you can rout the edges for the seals. Asked to
quote for a job not long ago where the Nursing Home proprietor wanted brush
seals fitting after a visit from Fire Officer, only problem being that there
was a 9mm gap round head, foot and lock side of the door !!

Neil