Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default TV signal Amplifiers . What do u look for when buying one ?

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 06:10:35 -0800 (PST), IbeDavid
wrote:

On Nov 15, 8:00 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
IbeDavid wrote:
Motorola has one thats 12 db. for $10 . Another brand is 20 db for
$18. Theres a bunch of specs on the back of both..but i have no idea
what they mean. When buying one, what do u want in one when price is
really secondary ? Looking for a clearer picture from distant tv
signals. Thanks .

Hi,
How do you receive the signal, with external antenna array on a tower or
little rabbit ears indoor? Signal amp. boost signal as well as noise
level. Theory wise betwee 12db and 20db is very different since db is
exponential expression. 3 db is 2 times. If I were you I'd improve
antenna, if you must use amp, it better be mounted on the mast, not at
the TV end. Power to the amp can be fed thru coax.

REPLY: Everyeone, Thanks. ITs a crankup outdoor roof mounted
Wineguard Antennae on my RV for VHF tv stations. Inside, there is a
red button which i press that feeds 12 vdc power into the coax
cable ...so....i assume THIS is the amp which came with the unit
(??). How can i pull in weak signals, better, with what i have ?
Thanks, Dave.

Don't expect the amp to help much. Are you sure the antenna is aimed
the best it can be?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"