Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default whole house TVSS reviews?

w_tom wrote:
On Nov 15, 4:57 pm, bud-- wrote:
The best information on surges and surge protection I have seen is at:
http://omegaps.com/Lightning%20Guide...ion_May051.pdf
- "How to protect your house and its contents fromlightning: IEEE guide
for surge protection of equipment connected to AC power and
communication circuits" published by the IEEE in 2005.
And also:
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/p.../surgesfnl.pdf
- "NIST recommended practice guide: Surges Happen!: how to protect the
appliances in your home" published by the US National Institute of
Standards and Technology in 2001

As usual, the promoter for plug-in protectors

To quote w_ "It is an old political trick. When facts cannot be
challenged technically, then attack the messenger." My only association
with surge protectors is I have some.

posts information that
does not belong here

I posted 2 links to excellent guides on surges and surge protection that
were published by the best independent technical sources in the US. They
talk about surge suppression and give valuable information on service
panel suppressors, which is what N8N was looking for. The guides are
exactly what belongs here.

I minimally disagreed with what w_ said about service panel suppressors.

AND that says plug-in protectors can even damage
adjacent electronics - Page 42 Figure 8.

A lie w_ likes to repeat

These 'scary pictures' are just another
reason why the technically informed install one properly earthed
'whole house' protector:
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=556&parent=554

w_ brought up plug-in suppressors.
w_ can't understand his own hanford link. It is about "some older
model" power strips and says overheating was fixed with a revision to
UL1449 that requires thermal disconnects. That was 1998.

Ignoring the rest of w_’s antiplug–in suppressor rant.

Bud promotes for plug-in protector manufactures and will not even
admit to that. Honesty is not Bud.

The “old political trick” #3.
But w_ won’t answer if he has/had connections to surge protection
equipment manufacturers.

He is a troll who injected an irrelevant issue into the thread.

He makes no response to what I really said - all of which has available
sources. Have anything to say on-topic w_?

Getting back on--topic:
Both w_ and I said energy (Joule) ratings generally indicate the life of
a suppressor. The IEEE guide warns that different products can not be
exactly compared by their Joule rating because there is no standard for
measuring it and manufacturers may use incomparable methods. I believe
SquareD (one of w_'s preferred manufacturers) has stopped publishing
Joule ratings for that reason.

--
bud--