Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting drywall

"curmudgeon" wrote in message
You got bad advice. Primer and paint are NOT the same thing and they are
NOT the same composition!
Primer is essentially glue for paint. It bonds to the drywall and it
causes the paint to chemically bond to it. It literally has a glue type
component as part of its chemistry.
And NOTHING needs primer more than bare new drywall.

I got curious about what the hardware store guy told me years ago, so I
emailed Devoe, one of the manufacturers whose paints have amazed me over the
years. Here's the response:

Thank you for contacting Devoe Paints. We appreciate the time you took to
contact us.

Although most flat paint are self priming, flat paints should not be used
as primers. They do not have the sealing properties that primers do. You
would be taking a chance that the finish of the eggshell would be uneven.

If you need further assistance, please contact us at www.devoepaint.com or
via our customer-dedicated number at 1-866-391-1955. Customer Service
Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm EST.

Thank you,

John Jovanovski
Technical Services Department