Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Spray Paint/Powder Coat?

"CWLee" wrote in message

I don't understand the difference, in terms of longevity and
appearance, of painting a sheet of perforated steel with
black paint from a spray can, or having it powder coated
black. The holes in the steel are very small diameter
(1/16") and close together (1/8" centers). This sheet of
steel "screen", about 3' by 4', will be going into a screen
door, replacing the older and deteriorating mesh screen
currently there.

I'm concerned about some of the holes filling with paint,
but that seems a risk in either case.

On what basis would you decide between these two approaches
to coloring the raw steel black? Do you have other
suggestions for this project?

Thanks.
--
----------
CWLee

Spray painting @ 2 cans would be less than ten bucks for GOOD paint.
Powder coating might be ten bucks a square foot.

No doubt about it that powder coat would last longer, as it is baked on, and
has a surface sealing glaze.

If it was me, I'd just clean it REALLY good, then spray it with Rustoleum or
Krylon. And then, you can touch if up every couple of years.

With either process, the talent of the painter will determine if the holes
are plugged or not. If you spray it, figure on about four VERY light coats,
with a couple of hours in between. The only thing that can clog the holes
is putting too much paint on at once.

Spraying it is the way to go. Hang it up with two pieces of wire, one at
each corner. Do it in a pattern of straight lines across the piece. Let it
dry for two hours, then turn it ninety degrees. Repeat until you think it's
covered. On your first coat, it should look like you've missed it and some
of the metal should show through. That's how light a coat you want to keep
from clogging the holes.

Steve