Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default troubleshooting method for micro-controller board ?

wrote in message
I'm reading this thread with some interest, but I'm more puzzled as it
goes on, there should be something we are (and the OP is) missing.

AIUI the OP is trying to find which/how many 5V rail devices on a heavily
populated logic board are S/C after a short between 36V & 5V feeds.

A slightly risky strategy would be to use the 5V O/P from an old (pre-3.3V)
AT PSU, which typically can supply 200A or more via progressively lower
current limiting resistors, at some point the current will be high enough to
distinctly heat any S/C components enabling rapid identification, obvious
pitfalls are S/C Unobtainable Logic Arrays, firmware ROMs the supplier
refuse to sell as spares, the risk of blowing circuit traces (unrepairable
in multi-layer boards) and the risk to eyesight from exploding S/C
capacitors!