Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default O/T: Old Memories (tickets)

J. Clarke wrote:
dpb wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
More to the point, the conduct of the war _was_ the business of the
Secretary of War (that's why they called him that), ...

Well, don't know if it's what you meant or not, but the specific
words
leave a little bit of the wrong impression at least to me...

The Secretary of War was a Cabinet post which is now known as the
Secretary of Defense. The subtlety being he held the same position
w/
the same title before war was declared, not just because of the war
being waged.

If you have a point you have not made it.

If the conduct of the war was not the business of the "Secretary of
War" then whose business was it?

That point wasn't in question and I intended to add that I agreed with
your point that a request was about like "requesting" the kid to take
out the trash but failed to do so.

I only wanted to clarify there wasn't a Secretary of War appointed for
the war itself, rather it was/is the regular Cabinet post. Most of the
regulars here are old enough to know that; who knows who's lurking or
from somewhere else?

Coincidentally, I stopped at the library last night -- on the "new book"
shelf was a biography of Ike. Thinking of this thread I picked it up.
Don't know if this incident is in it or not; probably not, it apparently
didn't really build any legs as an issue until after the war when people
had time again to indulge in petty grudges...