Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default water meters

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:46:01 -0000, "Bob Mannix"
wrote:

Why would he be listening to pipes? Is he listening for leaks?

Yes, it's a very well established technique, also works for detecing worn
bearings etc. Try it yourself, any old rod or stick will do. I fold the
little flap in front of the earhole over the hole and put one end of the
stick on that and the other on whatever metal you are listening to. You'll
hear a water leak all over the pipe system in the locale, they will have
been looking for where it sounded loudest, giving them a smaller area to
dig.

An old "water man" said to me as a kid : If it doesn't stop it means
there's a leak.

DG