Randal O'Brian

Default carbide inserts and lathe holders for same

The reason hardened tool holders are desirable is that under hard use the
insert pockets don't wear and the shanks aren't deformed by the QC holder
set screws. Also, in case you screw up, the insert breaks with less chance
of damaging the tool holder nose or the retaining screw hole(ask me how I
know). Tool holder failure was one of the complaints the original poster had
about his Enco set. And yes, Ted, I am well aware that all steels have
nearly the same modulus of elasticity. And no, Ted, not everybody is as
"thrifty" as you areG.

Randy

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Randal O'Brian wrote:

The Borite turning tools are hardened tool steel and are very tough.

MSC
sells them in all the standard shank sizes. The inserts that come with

them
are good general purpose types.

You can harden your "tool steel" tools to Rockwell bazillion and it
doesn't matter a tinkers Dam except on the cutting edge which you say
comes from an insert. Rigidity is determined by shape and eleastic
modulus and the elastic modulus of all steels is about the same. A mild
steel holder is just as rigid as an expensive "Hardened Tool Steel
Holder".

The hardened steels generally have a higher yield strength. How many
tool holders have you broken or put a permanent bend in?

Make your own holders for pennies a piece out of mild steel and, as the
commercial says, "Save your money!"

Ted