Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Question regarding buffing

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:55:12 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

I have a Shopsmith but it's too friggin' loud at buffing speed to use more
than once..

Earmuffs. Actually, I'm re-engineering a second 1953-4 Mark-V (not
messing with grandpa's yet, but it's one of the same vintage) to use a
VS motor, rather than the Reeves drive. Had to kludge that on grandpa's
when I lost a bearing on the Reeves control pulley-half in the middle of
some work - while awaiting parts, I slapped a VS motor on the bed
driving the jointer shaft, and that drove the spindle. It was so
wonderfully quiet (no Reeves squeal) that I'm moving to making it a
permanent modification (with the motor more in the proper location) on
the second one (which was cheap, and already had been messed with when I
got it). If I get it right I have no major qualms about redoing
grandpa's, he was also an engineer, and would be fine with making it
better, so long as it's not frigging it up...

It also solves the "no speed below 700 RPM" problem without that hokey
speed reducer.

My ol' Mark 5 has been being used and abused since I bought it in 81...
It's pretty much a dedicated horizontal drill press with sanding disk on the
other end, now... and gets the heavy routing jobs now and then..

Thank whoever that I'm not turning on that sucker anymore.. lol

In over 25 years of abuse I've changed he speed control arm one and a belt
once... they're pretty damn durable..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing