Posted to alt.home.repair,soc.senior.issues
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default No more room in this house

"Mamba" wrote in message
wrote in message
It started in the late 1970's when there was the gas rationing. They
said I had to curtail driving and insulate my house. I had the whole
house insulated, caulked and weather stripped. I also added a wood
stove. For the next few years they said we must save more energy, so
I added more insulation, replaced the doors, and put vents in the
attic. At the same time I quit driving except when I had to, and took
one short vacation each year. Then things seemed to calm down in the
later 80's and into the 90's. I started driving more, took more
vacations and did nothing more to the house.

snip

Well, I better go. I am having the electricity turned off today, so
this computer won't work anymore.....

Joe

I see the problem with this logic. To save energy, first turn off your
TV.

I remember, also, back in the 70's when the gas company said we had to cut
back our thermostats to conserve on the consumption of natural gas. Then,
the next year the gas company petitioned (and got) for an increase in the
price they were allowed to charge for gas. Seems that users had cut their
thermostats down so much that they were no longer making the profit they
were guaranteed by the commission. So, consumers ended up paying just as
much for heat but getting less of it. A few years earlier, the local
electric company only billed consumers every other month because bills were
just so low that it didn't make economic sense to bill monthly. Then they
were bought out by ComEd, who immediately started billing monthly, saying
that it would be more convenient for consumers. But, would you believe that
the monthly bills soon became as much as what we used to be billed
bi-monthly. Makes one tend to become a believer in "conspiracies", don't
you think?

Tom.