Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] else24@gmail.com is offline

Default O/T: Old Memories (tickets)

On Nov 15, 2:11 pm, (George G) wrote:
Then why is it after over 60 years is the Red Cross apologizing for
their actions. They wouldn't even mention it because they figured we
would all be dead by now. But some of us are still here and it is
coming back to haunt their organization. So easy to blame the
government for their actions. George

Well, there's this from NBC News:
http://www.nbc4.com/news/14571907/detail.html
A bad decision made 65 years ago still haunts the Red Cross. In 1942,
during World War II, the Red Cross was ordered by then-Secretary of
War Harold Stimson to charge soldiers a nickel for the doughnuts and
coffee that it distributed at "Red Cross clubs" behind the battle
lines in parts of Europe.

According to the Red Cross, Stimson's thinking at the time was that
non-U.S. allied soldiers had to pay for refreshments, so in the spirit
of morale, which Stimson feared was suffering, he ordered American
soldiers to pay for refreshments.

The move made soldiers furious. Even today, many of the soldiers tell
their families to boycott the Red Cross.

On Monday, as Americans observed Veterans' Day, a day to honor the
sacrifices of soldiers, the Red Cross officially apologized.

I don't tell anybody what or who they spend their money on. All I'm
saying is, it sure sounds to me like it isn't the Red Cross who should
bear the blame for all those nickels all those years ago.

Still... they probably should have put up more of a fight. Or maybe
given free donuts to the other allies instead. That would have been
the nice thing to do.