Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to wire a bathroom fan with remote blower

On Nov 15, 12:17 pm, Christopher Nelson wrote:
On Nov 15, 9:21 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Nov 15, 7:57 am, wrote:

On Nov 15, 1:22 am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message

I've heard of bathroom fans which have the blower at the top of the
duct, just under the roof rather than just above the bathroom
ceiling. And I heard a suggestion that they can be used to vent
multiple bathrooms with one blower. But I'm having trouble imagining
how that would be wired so it could be turned on in either of two
bathrooms. That's not a three-way switch.

You'll end up throwing out a lot of heat/cold unnecessarily.

Use timer switches and just wire them in parrallel.

Bob

I think you wind up throwing out a lot of heat/cold unnecessarily with
this approach regardless of how it's wired. The blower will always
be pulling air out of all the bathrooms anytime one of them needs the
fan on.

Personally, I think using quiet quality individual bath fans is the
better solution.- Hide quoted text -

You could include powered dampers in the ductwork from each bathroom
controlled by that bathroom's switch. Something like these:

http://www.smarthome.com/3080.html?src=WG1002278

Wow! For $110 a piece, how many centuries does it take to pay back
the losses for not using the dampers?!?- Hide quoted text -

You'll note that I used the words: "Something like these". There are
ceratinly cheaper models available. I apologize for not offering a
link to the lowest priced option. I'll be more careful next time in
case the power of my suggestion is so overwhelming that the reader
can't resist clicking on the link and immediately placing an order.

BTW...wouldn't your response also apply to 's
suggestion of using 2 fans? Should I be honored that you felt I was
the only one worthy of being picked on? ;-)