Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting drywall

It worked beautifully. 15 years later, it still looks good. I can't explain
it.

"curmudgeon" wrote in message
You got bad advice. Primer and paint are NOT the same thing and they are
NOT the same composition!
Primer is essentially glue for paint. It bonds to the drywall and it
causes the paint to chemically bond to it. It literally has a glue type
component as part of its chemistry.
And NOTHING needs primer more than bare new drywall.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"big e lewis" wrote in message
I just had a garage built, and it is now insulated and drywall is hung.
I want a glossy white color, to help reflect the light, because I hate
working in dim conditions. Anyway, do I NEED to prime 1st, or can I just
paint it with the paint I want to show? The drywall is not finished,
screw heads are exposed, just the seams taped. I don't care about looks
or finish, as it is just a garage,I just want a gloss or semigloss look
paintwise. Any thoughts? Thanks, Earl

You should prime it. However, I once got some advice from a reliable
hardware store guy. He said the only reason to specifically buy primer is
because it's cheaper than the finish paint. He said if I already have
some flat finish paint that's in good condition, you could use that
instead, since using what you already have would obviously save money.
That was exactly my situation - I had a whole can of flat finish white I
knew I would never use as a finish coat. It worked beautifully as a
primer under a coat of semi-gloss.

Unless you don't mind seeing screw heads, you need to spackle over them
and then sand.