Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default SHOULD THE REGULAR POSTERS OF THIS GROUP MOVE?

In article
,
" wrote:

SHOULD THE REGULAR POSTERS OF THIS GROUP MOVE?

No. ..and I hope you don't. I enjoy reading your words here.

To be rid of the spammers and sex stuff?

I have been diligently configuring my filters so I see less and less of it.
If the "real" folks here would do the same, *AND* resist the urge to REPLY to
the trolls and spammers (circumventing my filters), it would be almost like
the good, old days.

If enough are interested I could try to find a format somewhere. I
miss what this group was

the new home wouldnt allow spammers

There are already plenty of forums that do that. Sadly, they are all
web-based - an interface that I CANNOT stand.

There are distinct advantages - and DISadvantages - to a moderated forum,
regardless of the user interface:

The advantages include virtually NO spam, trolls or OT postings.

The biggest DISadvantage, besides the user interface, is the
occasional/inevitable iron-fisted, out-of-control, whacko moderator. These
frustrating Nazis can, without notice or negotiation, shut out ANYONE they
choose. Such forums are true, on-line dictatorships. Whether or not they are
a BENEVOLENT dictatorship depends on the whims of the moderator.

I'll keep using usenet - and my filters - until I can stand it no longer. I
have quite a ways to go before that happens, thankfully.
--

JR