Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default How to wire a bathroom fan with remote blower

wrote:
On Nov 15, 1:22 am, "Bob F" wrote:

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message

I've heard of bathroom fans which have the blower at the top of the
duct, just under the roof rather than just above the bathroom
ceiling. And I heard a suggestion that they can be used to vent
multiple bathrooms with one blower. But I'm having trouble imagining
how that would be wired so it could be turned on in either of two
bathrooms. That's not a three-way switch.

You'll end up throwing out a lot of heat/cold unnecessarily.

Use timer switches and just wire them in parrallel.

Bob

I think you wind up throwing out a lot of heat/cold unnecessarily with
this approach regardless of how it's wired. The blower will always
be pulling air out of all the bathrooms anytime one of them needs the
fan on.

Personally, I think using quiet quality individual bath fans is the
better solution.

This fan system was used on one of my jobs and I paid
particular attention to it because I had not seen one before.
The fan was not at the roof, but in the attic and fed three
bathrooms. The switch turned on both the fan and opened a
damper which only allowed air to be pulled from the room that
was switched on. The biggest problem was that it was so
quiet, unless you looked at the switch and noticed that it was
in the on position, there was nothing to tell you to turn it
off when you left the bathroom.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.