Posted to alt.home.repair
Jason Howe[_2_] Jason Howe[_2_] is offline

Default Steam venting

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Jason Howe" wrote in message
My thoughts are this:
1) Get insulation on the 1st 5 feet of pipe (even if only temporary)
2) Replace 1st floor vents with the adjustable kind to force more steam
upstairs so that 2nd floor heaters get warm first.
3) Get some sort of real venting on the mains so that the now full open
vents upstairs don't have to vent as much.

The insulation may keep the basement a bit cooler, but it will help overall
efficiency if you don't need the heat.

I'd check the second floor vents before replacing the first floor ones to be
sure they are working properly. My experience is with two pipe systems so
I'm not completely familiar with your setup. As long as there is air in the
radiators, steam cannot enter. You are on the right track.

As for the asbestos, do some checking on what you can or cannot do yourself
and you may save a bundle of money. Keep in mind, that asbestos is
perfectly safe if left intact. I have no idea what people get frightened by
it.

As far as the vents go, I have heard that after a while they can get
gummed up, so perhaps removing and cleaning all the vents would be a
good first step.

As far as the asbestos goes, while I'd be perfectly willing to leave it
in place, the fact of the matter is that people do freak out about it,
and selling a house with visible asbestos can be a real issue. When
buying this place in the spring, I didn't care, because I know it's safe
if intact and in good shape, however; I'm sure when I go to sell (don't
have plans to currently, mind you) I won't be so lucky as to get someone
as understanding as myself g.