Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Vises

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:27:49 -0600, Ignoramus28622

On 2007-11-15, mlcorson wrote:

snip
Ig,
You should try Craigslist. I've bought 2 really great large vises on
CL. They are frequently listed.
-Mike

There is a liquidation sale coming up with a nice bullet vise, I will
try my luck. The vice comes with an ugly table that I will not take if
I win it.

I've got a 5" Wilton machinist's vise (heaviest bullet style),
Christmas gift. They're pricey as hell, but very stable, almost no
slop, lots of bearing surface for great rigidity. Plus there's lots
of soft jaw accessories. If you grab the movable jaw and shake it,
you can hardly detect any movement.

I've used the same model at work for 20 years, bought it after busting
my knuckles on a brutalized old vise that looked like it had been used
as a welding fixture. The only thing I've had to do to the Wilton was
lube it every decade or so.

Pete Keillor