Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Charging li-ion batteries

wrote:
I have a battery pack scrounged from a Dell computer. It is their pn
66WHR rated 14.8V 4460MAH. It is comprised of 8 cells, that is four
sets of two in parallel. Each set measures 3.9V, so therefore each
cell seems to be 3.9V. The cells are Sony Fukushima STG, bearing the
following numbers: US18650GR and STG 6KEO7R. They are all also marked
G5.There were multiple terminals on the connnector on this pack and
also a small circuit board with many smd circuits on it. Perhaps the
charger or regulator? These would make a really nice standby battery
pack for a project, but how would I charge them? I understand that
there is a specific charging protocol for these type of batteries. Is
there a generic charger available to address this? Or can anyone
suggest an alternate method? Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

If that's the pack that fits the Dell C-series laptops, you can often
buy dead laptops with a still-working charger. cheap or free.
I used one to charge my dell batteries.

You need to do the research and understand what you're doing to safely
charge lithium batteries...but it can be done.

You can easily burn your house down while putting gasoline in your
lawnmower. I don't have any statistics, but I bet there are MANY more
instances of gasoline fires than lithium fires. Yet we still manage
to put gas in our lawnmowers. People who understand the issues and pay
attention to them don't burn down their houses. Ditto for people
who charge batteries.

Your problem is much simpler if you can live with charging one battery.

And yes, the world is full of idiots and lawyers...so I ain't gonna try
to tell you how.

--
Return address is VALID!