Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread jthread is offline

Default Recoating tar and gravel roof?

"Jack" wrote in message
et...
Is it possible to get some extra mileage out of a tar and gravel roof that
has developed a leak? The roof in question is about 6' by 14' with minimal
perceivable slope, maybe 1/8" to the foot. It is pretty old and the leak
could be anywhere, but the drip down below is coming down in the middle.

I was wondering if Henry 201 or a similar liquidy asphalt product might
not penetrate and seal smale cracks in tar and gravel roofs... or will it
just leak onto the ceiling below?

I've done it. The flat roof wasn't that old though. I'm not sure I'd waste
my effort on a real old roof.

First you have to clean the roof carefully which is the hardest part. Flat
roofs get dirty as hell.

I first used a broom to get the gravel pushed back. A wet vac and then a
mop. You have to carefully time it so the roof doesn't get dirty again. Work
in a ten foot radius around the leak and up the sides of the flat roof to
the area where the roof meets the wall. Stucco buildings have a reputation
for leaking in this area. I can't remember the name of it. (The top of the
wall where it meets the roof material)

Then I applied this stuff.

http://www.snowroof.com/

Worked great but it's a lot of hard work. I would of hired a roofer if I
could of afforded one.

Jim