Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default Forgotten receptacle wiring tracked all way back into fuse box and to target

Wayne Whitney writes:

For this second requirement, if the circuit is protected by circuit
breakers, this means that a handle tie is required so that both
circuit breakers open at once. I don't know how this requirement is
applied to fuses: my instinct would be that you can't use two separate
fuses, so you simply can't wire a split receptacle at all. Perhaps
someone more experienced than I am can comment.

I have seen fuse boxes that have multi-fuse pullouts. You insert two
fuses into the pullout part while it is removed from the fuse panel, and
then plug it into the panel. For large loads (stove, dryer) the pullout
uses cartridge fuses, but there are also pullout units that take two
standard screw-base fuses. There's an interlock cover over the fuses so
you can't actually unscrew either fuse until the whole pullout block is
removed from the fuse panel.

With this arrangement, you can't voluntarily deactivate half of the
circuit by unscrewing one fuse; you have to pull the pullout block which
always deactivates both sides of the circuit. That provides one of the
functions of the two-pole circuit breaker. However, if one fuse blows
due to an overload, the other side of the circuit remains live until you
manually disconnect it - unlike the circuit breaker which disconnects
both sides on trip.

It seems this is a fundamental limitation of using fuses on 2-pole or
3-pole circuits, instead of a multi-pole breaker or a contactor with
overcurrent devices wired in series.

Anyway, I have seen these, but I don't know if they meet code now. I
haven't lived any place with fuses for a while now.

Dave