Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson mlcorson is offline

Default Vises

On Nov 14, 2:29 pm, Ignoramus28622 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28622.invalid wrote:
On 2007-11-14, Leon Fisk wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:59:50 -0600, Ignoramus28622
wrote:

I am now looking for a general purpose vise, as my Harbor Freight vise
seems to be in a not so good shape after I overtightened it.

Here are two typical Wilton vises. Is the "bullet" style vise any
better than the other?

Which HF vise did you toast?

I will try to write the number down tonight.

I've beat the crap out of one of the China Multipurpose
Swivel vises and haven't managed to hurt it too badly just
yet (20+ years). See:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

Every one and their brother sells these. They weigh ~66 lbs.
The pipe jaws are crap and the bondo/filler may crack off
the casting. It still works fine though...

Get one on sale, don't pay more than $40 for one.

Some of the big names make a similar vise. I can only guess
that they are a bit better quality

OK... Thanks...

What I did was that I tightened the vise so much that the screw now
moves with quite a bit of difficulty, I supposed that the thread
became distorted.

Ig,
You should try Craigslist. I've bought 2 really great large vises on
CL. They are frequently listed.
-Mike