Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28622 Ignoramus28622 is offline

Default Vises

On 2007-11-15, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:25:48 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Leon
Fisk quickly quoth:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:59:50 -0600, Ignoramus28622
wrote:

I am now looking for a general purpose vise, as my Harbor Freight vise
seems to be in a not so good shape after I overtightened it.

Here are two typical Wilton vises. Is the "bullet" style vise any
better than the other?

Which HF vise did you toast?

I've beat the crap out of one of the China Multipurpose
Swivel vises and haven't managed to hurt it too badly just
yet (20+ years). See:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5655

I got one 25-30 years ago and have put it through the wringer,
including using a pipe extension on it sigh, but it held up. If you
have to overtighten a vise it means you're not holding the object
properly and you should step back and figure out why before breaking
it. I learned to use a similarly sized object on the other side of the
jaws to even out pressure and it increased the pressure on the object
I was holding, enough to do what I needed to do. A similar one:

Maybe I wil buy it, a trip to HF is way overdue.

Every one and their brother sells these. They weigh ~66 lbs.
The pipe jaws are crap and the bondo/filler may crack off
the casting. It still works fine though...

Get one on sale, don't pay more than $40 for one.

There ya go. I gave $24 or something similar for mine in the 70s.

Some of the big names make a similar vise. I can only guess
that they are a bit better quality

That's a possibility vs. a probability.