Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default How do I use a Split bolt ? (electrical)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:54:39 -0500, Ned Simmons wrote:

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:51:49 +0000, Mark Rand
wrote:

Not my code, but I would have thought that one would have a reasonable
argument for an intelligent user of a home shop that is read up on the codes
to be sufficiently qualified to be able to service and operate equipment that
they have installed in that shop. Maybe not...

I'm reasonable, you're reasonable, and most likely the OP is
reasonable. But given a choice between reason and the plain language
of the code, the electrical inspector will go with the code. That's
the blessing and curse of bright-line regulations.

Biggest problem I get is that some of the neighbours and some of the local
planning (zoning) officers think that my workshop looks a bit industrial. Must
be for business use, no one would have several lathes, surface grinder,
milling machines etc. if it wasn't for business, would they? This would lead
to expensive conflict with the council, fines and probable demolition of the
workshop.

My explanation to all who ask is that one could make a small fortune with the
kit that I have in the workshop, but only if one started with a large fortune!

Mark Rand
RTFM