Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Vises

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:29:09 -0600, Ignoramus28622
wrote:

snip
OK... Thanks...

What I did was that I tightened the vise so much that the screw now
moves with quite a bit of difficulty, I supposed that the thread
became distorted.

Usually the handle will bend before you can toast the
threads. Did you try using it in place of an Arbor press
maybe? That is really hard on them. That being said I have
done that a few times myself My vise is an older one, but
the new one still looks pretty much the same. You know there
is some iron in it going by the weight. China iron isn't
always the most wonderful, but if there is enough of it...

I really like the rotating head on these. They are nice to
have around even if they aren't necessarily made all that
well.

There is another version of it around that uses a separate
handle to lock the rotating head in position. I haven't
used/tried one of those.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b