Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default whole house TVSS reviews?

On Nov 14, 1:31 pm, N8N wrote:
Anyone have any opinions, or can point me to a review, of a whole
house TVSS/surge protector that they think is the best? I've
currently got a Siemens breaker panel with the TVSS double breaker in
it, but the LED indicates that the surge protection on one pole is
weak and/or has failed. It's less than a year old so I'd like to
replace it with something better. I see products available from Ditek
and Panamax that just mount to the side of the breaker box, are these
worthwhile? anything else I should be looking at? Is any product
significantly better than any other?

Joules is the ballpark measurement of protector's life expectancy.
Any 'whole house' protector should be at least 1000 joules 50,000
amps. Most direct lightning strikes average 20,000 amps. As joules
increase, a protector's life expectancy increases exponentially AND
more surge is diverted to earth.

That determines the life of a protector over many surges. How well
does a protector work during each surge? That is determines by how it
is earthed. Earth is where surge energy must be dissipated. Earth
provides the protection. Protector simply connects a surge to earth.

For example, if the ground wire from breaker box to earthing rod is
up over foundation and down to earth - too long and too many bends.
That ground wire should be directly through foundation and down to
earthing electrode. If the only ground is to a water pipe 30 feet
away, again, protection 'system' has been compromised. Ground is just
too far away.

A protector's earthing connection should be 'less than 10
feet' (wire length is more critical than wire diameter), no sharp
bends, not shared with any other protection ground until all meet at
the earthing electrode, not bundled with any non-earthing wires, not
inside metallic conduit, and no splices. To make a protector even
more effective, enhance the earthing electrode system. The protector
is only as effective as its earth ground.

All protectors must be earthed 'less than 10 feet' to the same
earthing electrode. That means the 'whole house' protector, installed
free by the telco, also must be grounded to the same electrode. Cable
TV wire needs no protector to have 'whole house' protection. That
cable TV wire also must drop down, make a 'less than 10 foot earthing
connection to the single point earth ground, before entering a
building. Protector is simply a $2 ground block.

Ditek is just one of so many 'whole house' protectors. Notice
everyone in this list is a major, responsible electrical supply
company. GE, Siemens, Intermatic, Leviton, Cutler-Hammer, or Square
D. Confirm spec numbers exceed minimums. Ignore any dollar
warranty numbers. Generally, the higher that dollar number, then the
more inferior that protector.

Better protection is defined by what acutally provides protecton -
earthing. Even a second ground rod could significantly improve
protection. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.

One other point. Above is only the secondary protection 'system'.
While you are at it, also inspect your primary protection 'system':
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html