Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default comments on Toro Power Shovel?

On Nov 14, 11:45 am, Harry K wrote:
On Nov 14, 7:04 am, KLS wrote:

Another Rochesterian posting he I know that Toro power shovel
you're talking about, and frankly, for what you want to do with it, I
think you'll spend more time doing it than it's worth. You'd be able
to shovel out about as fast with less hassle.

I think you should try a gasoline single-stage snow thrower, which is
what I have for my 100 ft. long driveway that also directly abuts my
neighbor's driveway. To do this job, I have to throw my snow down the
driveway past the house to get enough clearance to toss it in its
final resting place on the front lawn (need to avoid getting it on the
neighbor's side). The nice thing about these machines is, if you get
a Toro or a Honda (I have the Honda HS520), they don't require an
oil/fuel mix, they're quite compact and easy to store, and they do a
heck of a job. Mine easily clears my entire driveway, including the
space in back in front of the two-car garage and the front sidewalk,
in a half hour as long as I don't let the snow pile up more than about
8 inches. It's also light enough for me to pick up by myself and put
it on my big 22'x26' deck and clear that off.

The Honda is kind of expensive, but it's cheaper than the traditional
snow throwers, and it uses the same gas as the lawnmower (you do have
one, right?). If you buy from Titus Mower up in Irondequoit, you'll
save $50 over many of the other dealers, like Brooks-Gravely in
Henrietta. Hope this helps!

I had a single stage and really liked it except for the plow berm. I
live right on a major highway (State Route 195 - Wa) and the state
plows me in. I wind up with all the snow off about 14' wide strip of
highway piled in my drive. The single stage just couldn't handle it.
Even with my 2 stage I have to 'nibble' at it.

Oddly, opposite my expectations, the single stage would throw snow
further than the 2 stage.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Instead of using my thrower to nibble at the hard packed snow from the
plow, I use a flat blade snow shovel and break off chunks that my
thrower can handle. Just slice vertically down the front of the pile
to loosen it up...no lifting required.