Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Straight Chisel : formerly Christmas Project

Hi Hank
I never had the pleasure of turning in industrial arts class. My experience
brought me from the province of Quebec to Nova Scotia into grade nine IA,
having not had it in Quebec. Most of the year in IA was drafting and I had
already had 2 years of mechanical drawing in Quebec. The class was not a
great experience. It is likely a tribute to my stubborness and family
upbringing that I like wood at all.

When I was reading Child's book on the Craftsman Woodturner I came across
his reference to the straight chisel as a planing tool. As I recall I had at
the time an extra 1" scraper that I seldom used. So I ground it to a
straight chisel. This was a major revelation. Do not get me wrong, I still
love my skews, but this is a great tool. For finish work I really like them
in carbon steel. The edge and hence the finish is fantastic. Granted the
edge does not last as long, but a quick swipe with the diamond file and
another finish cut is available. This is good stuff.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Henry St.Pierre" wrote in message
. ..
"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in

I made my straight chisel from a carpenter's chisel and I like the
edge I get on the carbon steel. Since it is a finishing tool it keeps
the edge well and I usually just keep it touched up with a diamond
hone and the very occasional grinding. On the other hand I have a 1"
that I ground from a HSS scraper and it is great too.

Darrell, I have a faint memory of straight chisels from my trade school
days (55-57). We also had scrapers, but didn't call them that. All tools
were chisels or gouges. Most chisels were used in a planing manner to the
best of my recollection. Fifty years ago, I was considered an accomplished
turner (even at the age of 16). Today I am a beginner (but I do remember
planing with a square chisel).
Regards,
Hank