Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown foggytown is offline

Default Ebay Items?

On Nov 12, 10:29?pm, Tanus wrote:
DLB wrote:
On Nov 12, 4:56 pm, Adam wrote:
I am looking into getting a router and a dovetail jig. I went to
woodcraft and the prices are pretty high for someone just getting into
this.

What do you guys think of these for someone starting out? What should I
be looking for anyway?!

Dovetail Jig:http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ProLine-12-D...Woodworking-Ma...

Router:http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Neiko-USA-2-...odworking-NR_W...

Thanks,

Adam Cavaliere

They both appear to be inexpensive (cheap) knock-offs. In my
experience, cheap tools are frustrating. I am not saying you couldn't
do good work with these tools, just be ready for the frustation. You
might be better off buying higher quality used brands. Look on
craigslist in your area.

Dave

I'd agree with Dave, but I'll add
something else. I don't own a dovetail
jig, and some of the other guys may be
able verify/refute what I'm saying about
the jigs. I've never heard anything
negative about the higher end jigs (i.e.
Leigh) but I question the need for them
for the occasional hobbyist.

I've done dovetails by hand and I've
used my route. Both methods have
produced respectable results, without
the learning curve required for a jig.
My impression of owning a jig is that
it's a godsend for someone who's doing a
lot of dovetails, but only so-so for
someone who's either new to the field or
is doing just a few dovetails.

--
Tanus

I solved the problem easily. I don't do dovetails. I got a jig a few
years back and the set-up was so fiddly and confusing I just said "To
hell with it!" Now when I need a jointed corner I do box or finger
joints which, to me anyway, look as good as dovetails and, with
today's glues, are not that much less strong.

My advice? Forget the jig and spend the extra money on a much better
router which you will find pays lots more dividends in future. A
dovetail jig does one thing. A router, however, is indispensible to
almost every project.

FoggyTown

FoggyTown