Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default O/T: Old Memories

On Nov 14, 9:27 am, DS wrote:
OK. I'm of the opinion that our troops deserve special consideration
whether they're coming, going, or on station.
Apparently at least two people disagree.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I've got two particular, personal memories of the Red Cross: I was
stationed at Cherry Point when my father died, and the Red Cross
arranged for my notification, leave, and transport to the New York
area, all at no cost; a few years years later, the entire block I was
living in burned, and my wife and myself got out in the clothing we
had on, with much of our cash (pretty much pre-credit card days, and
college students to boot) and pretty much all else of value turned to
ash, at which time the Red Cross arranged for a place for us to stay,
and gave us chits for clothing at a local store, after making sure the
store was open. Again, no charge.

I have to wonder about the situations encountered where the Red Cross
is said to have charged servicemen for coffee and donuts. My two
uncles, one returning from carrier duty in the Atlantic, and one an
Army CB tour in the South Pacific, said their Red Cross coffee and
buns were free. I can see possibilities where a nickel or dime for a
coffee and donut got collected to help supplement overseas offerings.
I've heard of a couple of cases where the the payment was voluntary.
And I've heard the stories about the Red Cross collecting without any
apparent reason, but based on my own experience, and that of my own
family members, I have to say I think we're again looking at a part of
the story, not the whole thing. Were these fund raising events? Do we
know? Did anyone ask, or did they do, as so many of us do, simply get
angry without finding out all the facts?