Alan Black

Default Induction Furnace Question

Quite interesting!, since its a new design I'm sure you are using IGBTs for
the output circuit, since they have pretty much replaced the SCRs in
induction power supplies. You mentioned you wanted to "keep the design a
secret" but of course you can reveal what frequency and wattage you are
planning to offer it at so we can all get an idea what applications it might
be useful for. I have a Inductotherm VIP 60 in my shop, I replaced the banks
of SCRs with a single high powered SCR for each side. This also allowed me
to remove the dampening circuit on the output transformers, since inrush is
not such a problem with the new ones. I did buy some IGBTs for a induction
project. Since it was just for my own use. I would much rather buy one to
get rid of that cooling tower. Tell us more!
Alan Black
www.sanmartin.com

"sme" wrote in message
Tim thank you for your reply...

At this time I would have to decline supplying you with a schematic or in
this case it would be three or four schematics, Sorry.
I am sure you can appreciate there has been a great deal of work put into
this project to date.
Ideally I would like to make this into a commercial viable product that

the
likes of you and I, hobbyist / jewellers could afford and feel that we are
getting good value. I should stress at this stage that I am not out to

make
a fortune but rather it would be nice to make a living or a small cottage
industry supplying this kit at a price we would all be willing to part

with
for such a device.

I initially posted here to try and gauge interest for the purpose to spur

me
on to refine the system I guess there's nothing like encouragement which

so
far the replies have given.

Saying this circumstances change and if they do I would be more than happy
to supply a schematic to you.

Regards
Steve.

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
Very exciting, could you please supply a schematic?

What kind of resonant capacitors do you use with the work coil?

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting

"sme" wrote in message
Dear Group,

I am posting this message in an attempt to gauge interest for a

project
have been working on.
I have been a hobbyist of metalworking for some time and currently

posses
lathe and CNC milling machine which I enjoy the use of very much.
I have also cast metal using traditional foundry methods (gas /

charcoal)
and this is what seeded my interest for this project.

I have designed an induction furnace which is currently in it's

testing
stage.
Initially this furnace was not going to see light of day out side of

my
own
workshop but while demonstrating it to a friend he showed a great deal

of
interest and mentioned that many like minded hobbyists may be

interested
in
such a device.

So I guess I am posting this to gauge interest from the group and seek
advice to what value both from usage and monetary you would put on it.

I would like to apologise in advance if members of this group see this

post
as a form of spam. Please be assured that this is not my intention.
I agree it would be nice to make a little cash out of ones hobby and

give
up
the office job ;-)

Regards,