Bill Darby

Default A different single-point threading question....

Been wondering if I could get a fairly accurate depth of thread
measurment with only a single wire and a mic.
*****************************

So I took a new 1/2" 13 bolt and miced it. The measurnent of the major
diameter was .489"

I miced it again with a .040" drill bit inserted in the thread. The
measurnent was .496"

In order to balance that reading I subtracted half the major diameter of
the bolt (.496" - 489"/2) = .2515" and doubled the result .2515"*2 =
..503"

So I now had the equivalent to a 3 wire reading. [IE .503"] So the
sharp depth diameter reading would be 3 times the .040" drill diameter
less or .503"- 3 * .040" = .383"

The pitch diameter would be one pitch height greater or .383" +
1/13*.86603" = .4496"

This .4496" pitch diameter falls nicely into the pitch diameter range
of a class 3A thread.
Bill

May seem complicated to do but you need no special kit, only two hands,
and once you figure out the mechanics of it, it is easy and I would
guess that the accuracy, while not as good as the proper three wires, it
could serve most quite well.

Bill

(Hoping I didn't foul up my numbers)