Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default NICEIC and minor electrical works question

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:13:17 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave
Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Thing is that the electrics associated with a heating system is sometimes
anything but 'minor works' to make a workmanlike job of. Possibly the most
complicated part of the wiring in the average house.

Indeed. My control centre consists of two four slot gridswitch
plates with a variety of switches, indicator lamps and FCUs, four
cord outlets, another three slot gridswitch plate with a switch,
indicator lamp and FCU, two controllers, plus an amount of
mini-trunking. At the boiler there are two more cord outlets, one
with three core and earth cables plus eight indicator lamps. This
lot is/will be joined with a variety of cables, including a six core
and earth cable.

While that is much more complicated than the typical heating system
there may well be a lot of work in heating systems these days. Radio
and some sort of data bus may do away with some of this in time, as
it has done in other applications, but I think that for at least
several years ever more complicated heating systems will be wired
using ever more cable.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh