Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Blocking toilet drain (temporarily)

On Nov 14, 8:16 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Styrofoam coffee cup.
Duct tape.
Plastic and staple gun.

--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"JA" wrote in message

. ..
I'm replacing the floor in one of my bathrooms and need to have the toilet
removed for several days while I remove the current subfloor, replace it,
tile, and grout. Everything I've read says to block the toilet drain with a
rag. We've done that as a temporary solution when running back and forth to
the store for extra parts when replacing a toilet, but leaving a rag
blocking the drain for several days seems like an invitation for sewer gas
to infiltrate my house, or for me to accidentally block the drain with the
rag. (Besides which, it will drive my husband crazy because he will be
*sure* I will accidentally drop something down the drain.) I assume I can
buy some sort of cap to temporarily block the drain, but before I go to the
plumbing supply store, can somebody give me the correct name for the part so
I know what to ask for?

Thanks.

-- Styrofoam coffee cup.
-- Duct tape.
-- Plastic and staple gun.

I tried that. Everytime I put the staple gun in the styrofoam cup, the
cup cracked. Then my roll of duct tape was too big to fit in the
drain, so I had to peel off about 50 yards to get it small enough to
fit. (I wrapped the peeled off duct tape in the plastic so it wouldn't
stick to the inside of my garbage can) I decided to use some of the
remaining duct tape to repair the cup, but after I peeled it off the
roll, the roll was small enough to fall down the drain and now it's
lodged in there.

Man, I'm having a bad day.