Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default New tile floor overlapping oak floor by 1/2" OK?

I am tiling my entrance hallway and kitchen. I had to start in the
hallway as this is the longest run of the floor. Once in the kitchen I
am tiling up to my adjacent dining room which has oak floor. I noticed
that I can put a full tile where the DR starts, but it overlaps the
oak floor by about 1/2" ( the the oak floor and backerboard in the
kitchen are even and at the same level). If I wanted to stay away from
the oak floor, it means more cuts ( tiles are at a 45 deg angle) and
plus it would not look as nice as full tile.
If I screw down the oak floor so it would be tight, would it be OK? i
figure its only overlapping 1/2" it would not be a concern. I am
putting down a saddle so you would not see the screws