Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default 2.3 million US Soldiers vs 11.7 million Iranian Soldiers = ARMYDRAFT

David Nicoson wrote:

On Nov 13, 3:48 pm, croupe wrote:

I don't have the exact numbers, but I think that Iraq had somewhere
around 11M troops the first time around and that seemed to work out OK
for us.

Wikipedia states that there are only about 27M people in Iraq. 11M
troops sounds high.

From
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ir.html#People
Iran's Population: 65,397,521 (July 2007 est.)
Manpower fit for military service:
males age 18-49: 15,665,725
females age 18-49: 15,005,597 (2005 est.)
No numbers given on actual military strength.
I'd consider the CIA Fact Book more reliable than wikipedia.

From
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/

By 2004 the Iranian Army had some 350,000 men (200,000 conscripts).
Iran's navy has 20,000 men.
No numbers on the Iranian Air Force, but the site indicates they are down
considerably from a high of 100,000 just before the 1979 Revolution.

From
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGHUBERIV1.DTL
Iran's army includes 350,000 active-duty soldiers and 220,000 conscripts. Its
elite Revolutionary Guards number 120,000, many of them draftees. Its navy and
air force total 70,000 men.

Sounds like actual Iranian troop strength is somewhere well under a million.

These sites also indicate Iran's military technology (tanks, planes, etc.) is
mostly old, worn and in generally poor condition.