Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shower cubicle tileing

Lobster wrote:
Graham. wrote:
Unless the user is very careful indeed, water is dripping
through the bathroom floor/kitchen ceiling.
The bottom partial tiles were lose, being held only
by the bead of silicone sealant.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/shower.jpg
What little plaster was left intact I have chipped
away leaving this gap. What is the best way to
proceed? Is there something waterproof I should
be using to fill the void, and will this be the same
product that fixes the tiles back?

Difficult one. You probably know that ideally you should pull off more
or all the tiles and replace the backing board

Agreed.

(this scenario is exactly
why I favour using more expensive waterproof board like Aquapanel,
rather than plasterboard as has been used here by the looks of things.

Disagree. As long as the board is firmly fixed, and properly sealed it
never gets wet anyway.

How secure are the tiles above the gap? Isn't the board mushed there too?

I think it will be very hard to effect a decent bodge-type repair here
which doesn't leak - you need to create a really rigid surface in that
tiny gap which you can fix tiles to.

Actually this is a case where expanding foam would work. It will seal
the gap and it is rigid enough t tile over.

But I a with you on removing all the tiles, making good the board,
using silicone to seal the board to the tray and retiling. Starting from
the base. A sliver of tile at the worst possible point is terribly bad
practice.

I wonder whether the best solution would be to fix a single row of new
tiles (white, to blend with the tray) around the whole perimeter of the
tray and covering the gap, a bit like a skirting board?

If you are gong to bodge use foam. That will render the thing watertight
until the job can be done properly.

"when in doubt, rip it out"

After a lifetime of DIY on cars and houses I have come to the conclusion
there are only three sorts of repair that are worth doing. Car examples
given.

1/. Cosmetic. Stuff the rotten sills with newspaper, slap on filler
touch up and sell.

2/. Cheap & ugly but functional. Weld a piece of angle iron under the
sill. Will get you trough the MOT.

3/. Pukka. Take the old sill right off and fit a new one.

Farting around welding bits of plate and filling is a complete waste of
time: its never as good as new sill, it takes 5 times longer to fit,
and chances are it will rust through in short order.

After many instances of attempting that class of repair, age and
experience sets in,and you simply don't even start that way. Quick
functional bodge, or pukka job.

I this case either welly in foam or strip the tiles, make good behind,
and re-tile.

Or stuff with newspaper and filler, stick the tiles back on and sell the
house ;-)

David