Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Distance from OTR microwave to range?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am replacing a standard range hood with an over the range microwave.
I figure I have to move the above cabinet up. Is there a standard or
recommended distance from the top of the stove range to the bottom of
the microwave?

thanks a bunch

bob

Manufacturers recommend a distance of 30" from the top of the cooktop
surface to the underside of the kitchen cabinet (mounting surface for m/w)
above . However, some jurisdictions might require slightly more (for
example, Winnebago County in Ill. requires 32") to meet code. These m/ws
have a builtin thermostat control that will turn on the vent fan if the m/w
becomes overheated while your cooking on the cooktop. This is to prevent
cooking the electronic controls. Probably would only happen if your cooking
surface is gas powered. (my credentials: sold these devices from the date
of their invention until a couple of years ago)

Tom G.