Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default ATTN: electrical wizards, ceiling fan and 3 ways......

On 2007-11-13, Toller wrote:

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message

"If this is correct, you need 4 conductors (plus EGC) from the
Kitchen door to the Ceiling fan (neutral, fan hot, two travelers
for the light)"

Again, where are you going to connect the two travelers to the light?
You don't use more than 3 conductors anywhere.

As I understand the OP, at the "kitchen door", incoming power is
available, and two switches are desired, one for the fan, and one
3-way for the light. The second 3-way switch for the light is to be
across the room, at the "back door". So the two travelers go from the
"kitchen door" 3-way switch to the "back door" 3-way switch.

Assuming the cable runs are "kitchen door" - ceiling fixture -
"back door", I don't see anyway to achieve the functionality desired
without 4 conductors from the "kitchen door" to the ceiling fixture.

Cheers, Wayne