Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default O/T: Credit Card v Debit Card

Maxwell Lol wrote:
10x writes:

You give one very good reason to go with a credit card instead of a
debit card. I can't even think of one good reason TO use a debit card.

It's easier than writing checks, and can be used on the Internet for
immediate payment.

_WHY_ in the world would you choose a DEBIT CARD over a credit card on
the Internet? G

I'd rather use a credit card in that situation. If something goes awry
I have much more time to straighten it out, and the problem in progress
won't cause things like my mortgage payment to bounce.

Last year, I had two instances where there were big time problems on my
cards:

#1.) Someone used my credit card number to buy $7500 worth of stuff from
an eBay seller, to be shipped abroad. One phone call, credits & a new
account number, and it's and all cleaned up on my end.

#2.) A restaurant's bank screwed up and billed me 16 times for the same
$71 meal. Again, one phone call, no more problem!

I'm sure glad I wasn't stressing over my checking account, which is
linked to a savings account, either time. ;^)

We do _everything_ on a "bonus" credit card, which gets paid in full by
a check sent by my credit union's free "bill pay" service. Each credit
card transaction goes into Quicken, and therefore out of the budget, as
it's "spent" (just like a check), so the money is automatically
available when the bill is cut.

No fees, no finance charges, and we get ~ $800-1000/year back.