Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default comments on Toro Power Shovel?

On Nov 12, 7:17 am, KLE wrote:
The first we've ever seen of this item was in this week's Lowe's ad,
but after looking around on the internet for reviews and comments, it
seems they've been around for years. My husband's eyes lit up, so I
thought I'd ask here if any of you have ever used one and have any
commentary about the item? Lowe's sale price is $89.88, which looks to
be a very low price on this item, compared with what I saw online.

We'd be using it for a short, narrow walkway from the front door to
the driveway, then in the driveway itself. Driveway is only about
three car-lengths long, one car wide. Two cars parked in it, so we
shovel around the perimeter of the two cars, and the end of the
driveway, which is occasionally packed in pretty good from the snow
plow. Rochester, NY area, where the past couple winters have been a
lot milder than the ones I remember as a kid.

So I'm interested to hear about overall reliability/longevity of this
item, and using it to help deal with the snow plow packed end of the
driveway. It seems from other comments I've read online that you can
slowly chip away at the packed end as you would with the regular
shovel, as opposed to being able to really cut through it as you can
with a proper snow thrower, which would be fine. It seems this item
would contribute to making that job easier, and if it's really bad,
neighbors on either side have proper snow blowers and have shown me
how to use them.

The snow blowers made me nervous though, because of the self-propelled
feeling of them pulling forward so strongly. I felt like I could lose
control very easily, and it felt really dangerous to me. How does that
compare to this machine, especially with it being held more like a
weed whacker? Does it really function as the write ups claim,
somewhere between a trusty shovel and the all-out snow blower?

Thanks for any helpful comments,

Karen

Forget it! Those things will not handle the amount of snow you get
in that area even in a year that is considered 'light".

As for the big blower safety. It cannot run away from you. As soon
as you let go the handles, everything stops...well if it was built in
the last 30 years it will. The big thing to be careful about is where
the snow plume is landing.

Harry K